What you need to know about potty training your twins
You have twins so, like me, I'm sure your thinking about how difficult potty training twins must be. Well, according to all of the leading specialist it doesn't have to be. But first, is your child even ready to potty train? Are they showing you signs that they are ready? If you are unsure here are some signs one or both of your twins may be ready to potty train.
Signs your child is ready for potty training
- You are changing fewer wet diapers
- You can predict approximate times for your child's bowel movements
- He/she announces their bodily functions
- He/she hates dirty diapers
- He/she is able to perform simple undressing
- He/she is able to use and understand words for bathroom needs
- He/she wants live demonstrations
- He/she hides when he/she is having a bowel movement
- He/she asks to be changed when they have a dirty diaper
It is important to remember that each child develops at their own rate, so while one twin might be ready to start potty training the other twin may not be. So if you are worried because a friend of yours has a child close to the age of your twins that is already potty trained then don't be. These things take time. Keep in mind that if your child is not ready for potty training then even the best potty training techniques may not do the trick.
Getting down to business
- Don't worry about potty training your twins at the same time unless they are both ready
- Definitely get two potties
- Get them excited
- Be ready to accept help
- Rewards are great
- Sticker charts are a definite no
- Don't scold for accidents
Keep in mind these are only suggestions and as I have said before every child is different. If you find something that works better for you and your children then you should of course go by that method. Good luck in your potty training!